Rottweiler, a.k.a. Rottie or Rott, is a medium to large sized dog that originated in Rottweil, Germany and was mainly used for cattle herding. The Rottweiler is one of the top 10 smartest dogs, and has the strongest bite out of all domestic dogs. The average male weighs 110lbs and the average female weighs 93lbs. (Some of us are above average)

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The English Mastweiler

Have you ever heard of an English Mastweiler? It is a designer breed that mixes an English Mastiff with a Rottweiler. My husband and I have thought of one day breeding Squishy with an English Mastiff and keeping a pup. Little did we know, it's a concept that has already been in the works.
 (Left: English Mastiff with fawn coloring)

The Rottweiler's temperament is calm, confident, courageous and self-confident. They have an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, which makes them especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.
 (Right: Rottweiler)

The English Mastiff's temperament is characteristically innately good natured, calm, easygoing, and surprisingly gentle for its size. It is capable of protection, if the approaching person is perceived as a threat, the Mastiff may take immediate defensive action. They are typically an extremely loyal breed, exceptionally devoted to its family and good with children.
 (Left: English Mastiff with apricot-brindle coloring)



I think the mix creates a very attractive animal with a great temperament. Here's some pictures of what an English Mastweiler may look like. Aren't they pretty?

So the story continues... last Friday on my way to work, a house in the country was having a yard sale and also had a sign that said they were selling English Mastiff pups. I very much wanted to stop and look at the pups but knew I shouldn't, I mean I already have three dogs, what would I do with four? (...make English Mastweiler puppies of course!) When I got home I told my husband all about it and being my voice of reason told me no. However, a day or two later he did admit that if I had brought one home I could have kept it. So upon agreement, once we buy our next home (in the country) we'll get another dog. Except that won't be for another 3-5 years, and then once we get a pup we have to wait until she's two or three to breed her. I can't wait 8 years for my beautiful English Mastweiler! Squishy will be an old man by then! Therefore, if you or someone you know has a female English Mastiff and is interested in breeding her to a Rottweiler in the next few years let me know.

4 comments:

  1. I have a Handsom mix of the two i just adopted today. Hes the perfect dog already. The waits worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know where I can get a mastweiler puppy, looking for a male

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway know where I can find one? I've been looking for a mastweiler pup for almost a year now. I don't want one that has been altered though (tails docked, declaws removed, etc). I am having a really hard time finding one in the New England/Northeast region. I do prefer to adopt, but also don't mind buying from a breeder IF the breeder is a decent one. I don't want to be supporting any puppy mills. Any suggestions? Please feel free to email me at w_tomgirl17@hotmail.com. NO SPAM! Serious advise/suggestions only please.

    ReplyDelete